For the months of July and August 2011, any business that uses QR codes on their direct mail piece will receive a 3% upfront discount off the postage amount. It is not often that the Postal Service has a sale, so this is a great time to take advantage of a discount and to also get started with your QR code campaign.
Please review the FAQ below from the USPS for some general information, and please don't hesitate to contact us for help with your next direct mail marketing campaign.
2011 Mobile Barcode Promotion -- FAQs
GENERAL INFORMATION, ELIGIBILITY, AND REQUIREMENTS
1. What is the 2011 Mobile Barcode Promotion?
The Mobile Barcode Promotion is intended to build awareness of mobile technology and demonstrate to mailers how mobile barcodes can increase the value of mail. The promotion provides business mailers with an upfront 3% discount on standard and first-class letters, flats, and cards that include a two-dimensional (2-D) barcode that can be read or scanned by a smartphone.
2. Why is the Postal Service offering this promotion?
The Mobile Barcode Promotion was designed to increase the value of direct mail and build awareness around integrating mobile technology into direct mail communications.
3. When does the Mobile Barcode Promotion begin?
The promotion runs from July 1 through August 31, 2011.
4. Who is eligible to participate?
All companies, including Mail Service Providers (MSPs), who mail using a permit imprint and submit their mailing documentation electronically are eligible to participate.
5. Do I have to apply/register to participate in the Mobile Barcode Promotion?
The Mobile Barcode Promotion does not require an application or advance registration.
6. How do I participate?
Submit qualifying standard or first-class letters, flats, or cards electronically using a permit imprint payment method to the Business Mail Entry Unit (BMEU) for acceptance within the specified promotion period, and meet all other promotion requirements.
7. What are the promotion requirements?
All of the following must apply:
- All mailpieces in the mailing postage statement must include a mobile 2-D barcode on the outside of the mailpiece or within the mailpiece.
- The mobile barcode must be used for marketing purposes and must be relevant to the contents of the mailpiece. The objective of the 2-D mobile barcode on eligible mail pieces must be to initiate interaction with consumers via mobile smartphones to market, promote, or educate.
- Mail must be tendered for acceptance during the promotion period, July 1, 2011, through August 31, 2011.